Author Topic: Earlier US lockdown 'could have saved 36,000 lives  (Read 512 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 34
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
Earlier US lockdown 'could have saved 36,000 lives
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:33:14 PM »
Just one week could have saved as many U.S. lives as were lost in the Korean war. If we had  sensible leadership, or any leadership at all, the current chaos could have been drastically reduced. We have a president who said the virus would go away overnight after just 15 deaths.  One day he says he's running things, the next day he says it's the governors' job.  Yeah, right, let's reelect that guy.   ::)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/earlier-us-lockdown-could-have-saved-tens-thousands-lives/

Earlier US lockdown 'could have saved 36,000 lives'
Seven days could have made huge difference, according to modelling from Columbia University

By
Ben Farmer
21 May 2020 • 12:07pm

America could have saved tens of thousands of lives during the coronavirus pandemic by locking down only a week earlier than it did, new research has estimated.

If the country had imposed social distancing measures seven days earlier in March, around 36,000 fewer people would have died after becoming infected with Covid-19, according to modelling from Columbia University.

The number of people saved would have risen to more than 80 per cent of all deaths if precautions had been taken a fortnight earlier, the research found.

The study echoes other modelling published this week, estimating that three-quarters of coronavirus deaths in Britain might have been avoided if the UK's lockdown had begun a week earlier.

Had the UK Government imposed the measures seven days earlier, Britain's death toll now would be on a par with the 8,000 in Germany instead of over 35,000, scientist James Annan calculated.

Offline Mayhem

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
Re: Earlier US lockdown 'could have saved 36,000 lives
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:50 PM »
The guy gets tested every day. How many of you have been tested? 

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 589
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »
Had the UK Government imposed the measures seven days earlier, Britain's death toll now would be on a par with the 8,000 in Germany instead of over 35,000, scientist James Annan calculated.
The UK government tried to handle this in the same way it was busy handling BREXIT.

Most of my family had prepped for food and meds and put our households into isolation by March 8th because we could see what was happening in Italy. This allowed us to watch in horror rather than have to participate in the mass virus-spreading panic that consumed the country as soon as the government caused that panic by acting as if the threat didn't exist one day and started hinting at a 'lockdown' the next...those hints, along with the virus-spreading panic buying,  started March 16 and the 'lockdown' was put into place on March 23.

The UK government started with an 'experiment' in herd immunity but then had to change tack because it realised that too many actual productive taxpaying workers were going to die alongside the old and the vulnerable because the same government had systematically cut health service funding in favour of leading the country towards a more US ideologically based private for-profit healthcare system...Germany never did this, and that is why the Germans 'won' their battle against the 'invisible enemy.'

The fact that Boris Johnson was still shaking hands with covid-19 patients for the cameras as late as March 22 and was diagnosed with having contracted the virus by March 27 gives an answer to anyone who cares to ask what the UK government did to fuck this up so badly.

http://www.newsrake.org/index.php/topic,23636.msg403533.html#msg403533

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:29:53 AM »
The guy gets tested every day. How many of you have been tested?
Only because of my wife's working relationship with the UN, I have been tested three times now--once for the virus itself (which came back negative) and twice for antibodies (both of which, confusingly, came back positive.)

Do I now believe myself to be immune and no danger to myself or others? Not a fucking chance. I am continuing to distance myself from the morons, and the poor saps who have no option but to 'get back to work,' and the heroes who chose to keep working in hospitals and care facilities and food stores.

I am going to continue watching the next phase of the UK government's pandemic 'experiment' from as far away as possible...but I'm lucky because I do not have to choose between the health of my family and putting food on the table. And because of that luck I certainly will not voice one ounce of encouragement to 'get the economy open' to prop-up my returns on stock investments and pension fund dividends. I will not make a hypocrite of myself and encourage anyone to do anything that I am not prepared to do myself.

Offline hurricanehook

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 2360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
Only because of my wife's working relationship with the UN, I have been tested three times now--once for the virus itself (which came back negative) and twice for antibodies (both of which, confusingly, came back positive.)
Cushy government job for your wife, provides you with steady income?

Do I now believe myself to be immune and no danger to myself or others? Not a fucking chance. I am continuing to distance myself from the morons, and the poor saps who have no option but to 'get back to work,' and the heroes who chose to keep working in hospitals and care facilities and food stores.
As you say, notoc,
Oh the "poor saps" who have no option but to get back to work"...to supply food for their families?
That's right, moron notoc, you called them "morons and poor saps".

I will not make a hypocrite of myself and encourage anyone to do anything that I am not prepared to do myself.
notoc,
That is because you are not prepared to take a chance to supply for your family. Chicken little.
You should be ashamed and embarrassed.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
– Plato

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
Cushy government job for your wife, provides you with steady income?
No 'cushy government job,' Hook. She's a private contractor to the United Nations Refugee Agency. Time in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, DR Congo.

What do you do for a living?

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
Oh the "poor saps" who have no option but to get back to work"...to supply food for their families?
That's right, moron notoc, you called them "morons and poor saps".
notoc,
Why are the poor saps being forced to choose between risking the health of their families and putting food on the table, Hook?

Online RealityHasALiberalBias

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 968
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
Why are the poor saps being forced to choose between risking the health of their families and putting food on the table, Hook?

Shit Hook is embarrassed about being a disabled carpenter.

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 12:34:57 PM »
That is because you are not prepared to take a chance to supply for your family.
I'm very well off financially, Hook. I don't need to put myself or anybody else in any unnecessary danger.

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »
If I were like yourself, reduced to spending my time pretending to be a US Navy vet,  I'd consider suicide.  :-*

What do you do for a living?  8)

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
Shit Hook is embarrassed about being a disabled carpenter.
I think he blames me for chasing-off his BFF.

I wonder if Mornac will ever come out from under his bed?  :)

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:18:50 PM »
Chicken little.
The best part of 30 years in the Royal Marines, Hook. Falklands - Op SUTTON and Mount Kent & Harriet. Liaison call-up/volunteer for Gulf War 1  - Op GRANBY.

What were you up to during the first Gulf War, Hook?

Offline Mayhem

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »

How do you feel about voting for a president who got 4,500 U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq for a lie, and how do you feel about supporting a president who went golfing and stayed in denial letting a virus spread to claim 36,000 lives unnecessarily? 

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
Just one week could have saved as many U.S. lives as were lost in the Korean war. If we had  sensible leadership, or any leadership at all, the current chaos could have been drastically reduced. We have a president who said the virus would go away overnight after just 15 deaths.  One day he says he's running things, the next day he says it's the governors' job.  Yeah, right, let's reelect that guy.   ::)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/earlier-us-lockdown-could-have-saved-tens-thousands-lives/

Earlier US lockdown 'could have saved 36,000 lives'
Seven days could have made huge difference, according to modelling from Columbia University

By
Ben Farmer
21 May 2020 • 12:07pm

America could have saved tens of thousands of lives during the coronavirus pandemic by locking down only a week earlier than it did, new research has estimated.

If the country had imposed social distancing measures seven days earlier in March, around 36,000 fewer people would have died after becoming infected with Covid-19, according to modelling from Columbia University.

The number of people saved would have risen to more than 80 per cent of all deaths if precautions had been taken a fortnight earlier, the research found.

The study echoes other modelling published this week, estimating that three-quarters of coronavirus deaths in Britain might have been avoided if the UK's lockdown had begun a week earlier.

And you had a shit fit because I had the nerve to favor social distancing when you didn't.

smh

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 02:02:41 PM »
How do you feel about voting for a president who got 4,500 U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq for a lie, and how do you feel about supporting a president who went golfing and stayed in denial letting a virus spread to claim 36,000 lives unnecessarily?

#trumpvirusdeaths