Author Topic: What makes the mopes so desperate...  (Read 387 times)

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 589
    • View Profile
What makes the mopes so desperate...
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
...that they want to talk about anything but a viral pandemic?

The most effective response to any threat is knowledge.

Effective communication is a "resource multiplier" during a crisis, disaster, or emergency. For example, during a crisis you may find yourself overwhelmed with requests for information from the media and the public, managing misinformation, and conflicting messages being sent by other agencies. Use of effective communication techniques allows you to avoid resource over-utilization or misuse by managing or eliminating as many of these issues as possible.

Many of the expected negative individual and community behaviors can be mitigated with effective emergency and risk communication. Each crisis will carry its own psychological baggage.

Psychological Reactions

It is important for the communicator to understand that in crisis, people often manifest the following psychological reactions:

Vicarious rehearsal
Denial
Stigmatization
Fear and avoidance
Withdrawal, hopelessness, and helplessness .
Vicarious rehearsal

Interestingly, experience has shown that people farther away (by distance or relationship) from the threat may actually exercise less reasonable reactions than those who are facing the real crisis. The communication age allows some people to vicariously participate in a crisis which they have no danger of actually experiencing and "try on" the courses of action presented to them. Because these "armchair" victims have the luxury of time to decide their chosen course of action among the possibilities, they may be much more critical about its value to them. In some cases, these people may reject the proposed course of action, choose another, or insist that they too are at risk and need the recommended remedy, such as a vaccination or a visit to an emergency room. In its most troublesome form, these "worried well" will heavily tax the recovery and response.

Denial

Members of the community will experience denial. The following are some of the ways people experience denial. Some people:

Avoid getting the warnings or action recommendations
May become agitated or confused by the warning
May not believe the threat is real
May not believe the threat is real to them.

An individual experiencing denial may not take recommended steps to ensure their safety until the absolute last moments, sometimes, perhaps, when it is too late. This maladaptive crisis response is often associated with people suddenly and deeply feeling that the universe is no longer a rational and orderly system.

Stigmatization

In some instances, victims may be stigmatized by their communities and refused services or public access. Stigma, the fear and isolation of a group perceived to be contaminated or risky to be associated with, will hamper community recovery and affect evacuation and relocation efforts. In a disease outbreak, a community is more likely to separate from those perceived to be infected.

Fear and avoidance

Fear is an important psychological consideration in the response to a crisis. The fear of the unknown or the fear of uncertainty may be the most debilitating of the psychological responses to disaster. With fear at the core, an individual may act in extreme, and sometimes irrational, ways to avoid the perceived or real threat.

Withdrawal, hopelessness, and helplessness

Some people can accept that the threat is real, but the threat looms so large that they feel that the situation is hopeless. They feel helpless to protect themselves and so, instead, they withdraw.

https://www.orau.gov/cdcynergy/erc/Content/activeinformation/essential_principles/EP-psychology_content.htm
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:12:13 AM by notoc »

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1754
    • View Profile
Re: What makes the mopes so desperate...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »
I can't even begin to characterize the mental gymnastics I go through to try to understand right wingers  reaction to the pandemic which has been stunningly ignorant from the beginning.   

Jan - March: nothing to worry about!  News trying to take down Trump!

May with the USA leading the world toward 100,000 deaths, now  the steps and measures to lesson death and misery are no good for them, they aren't willing to put on masks or social distance to save others lives or their own.    How do they survive and thrive at all is my question?

Bookmark it: Trump will be impeached

Offline hurricanehook

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 2360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:08 AM »
How do they survive and thrive at all is my question?
Survival of the fittest.
You snowflakes don't stand a chance.............
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
– Plato

Online RealityHasALiberalBias

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 968
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:05:03 AM »
The mopes are cultists.

There is a lot of good research on cultists. Yes, they will desperately defend their cult.

I don't know the statistics on recovery from being a cultist but I imagine that even with a great deal of intervention the success rate on "deprogramming" is not promising. In this case we have the likes of FoxNews, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, et. al hammering the RWNJs with bullshit.

Which is why I question the efficacy of allowing someone like Caroline free reign to post her cult blather. None of these mopes will recover. So that makes us what, when we indulge them?

It makes us classic enablers. Yes, cultism and addiction are similar. I have real life experience with both. Denial, a key feature of both dysfunctions, is evil.

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »
I can't even begin to characterize the mental gymnastics I go through to try to understand right wingers  reaction to the pandemic which has been stunningly ignorant from the beginning.   

Taoism: you don't get where you want to go by trying harder.

It's actually a simple matter, Pepsi. If you want to understand, don't go down their rabbit hole.

They are cult followers, full stop. They are authoritarian. They cannot handle complexity so they reject democracy. A demogogue like Orange Hitler sets off their authoritarianism. You can certainly see that has happened, and it's not difficult to see why. They are top down and do as they're told. A few of them, like Mitch McConnell and pretty much all Republicans, are opportunists thinking that they can use Orange Hitler.

Ultimately that isn't how fascism works. Ultimately they become victims but the opportunists refuse to understand that.

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:34:25 PM »
here's where right wingers heads are at right now

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
So that makes us what, when we indulge them? It makes us classic enablers.
This is true. I mean, once a welfare reliant cripple such as Hook has been reduced to offering up an argument based around the idea of "survival of the fittest," then addressing them directly only serves to provide a level of legitimacy to something that, on its face, is otherwise spurious, patently nonsensical, bullshit.

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
Why not  ???
My guess? An inability to entertain more than one thought at any one moment in time.  :-\

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
Why not  ???

It isn't my theory Pepsi. I keep citing Karen Stenner, "The Authoritarian Dynamic." Stenner says that 30% of the population are authoritarian and that the common thread is their inability to handle complexity. She backs up that assertion with data and citations to the various studies.

I don't recall her saying why they can't handle complexity.

My guess, backed up by no data or citations, is that they are stupid. Half of the population has an IQ under 100 and 100 isn't all that bright. I would also guess that these are lazy people. It's much easier to take orders from someone who panders to your basest instincts than to do any real soul searching, admitting your own flaws and allowing facts to direct you to a conclusion. Even those of us who are better at being objective are not all that good at it. Human beings are flawed. We are not consistent, generally.

Someone like Caroline or someone like Mornac has the perfect excuse: they appeal to a higher source. What they fail to understand, because they're stupid, is that their "higher source" is one they choose out of many alleged "higher sources."

That didn't make perfect sense but, alas, I am human.

Online notoc

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »
My guess, backed up by no data or citations, is that they are stupid.
Our pet mopes certainly bear that out, but what is it that accounts for their obvious masochistic tendencies?  :)

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 08:38:03 PM »
My guess? An inability to entertain more than one thought at any one moment in time.  :-\

They're also lazy.

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:17 PM »
Our pet mopes certainly bear that out, but what is it that accounts for their obvious masochistic tendencies?  :)

They don't care. They see themselves as a "team." Their "victory" is totally vicarious and of course the ones who benefit at the cult followers' expense are all too willing to exploit the morons.

Offline Julia

• Sr. NewsRaker
  • Liked: 113
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 09:24:04 PM »
Survival of the fittest.
You snowflakes don't stand a chance.............

Are you planning to go to church this Sunday?
Trump says you need more prayer.
In a democracy it is your vote that counts.
In feudalism it is your count that votes.

Offline Julia

• Sr. NewsRaker
  • Liked: 113
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »

They’ve been taught to dehumanize the Other.  :-\
In a democracy it is your vote that counts.
In feudalism it is your count that votes.