Author Topic: What Michelle Obama Leaves Out About 'White Flight'  (Read 319 times)

Offline Byron

• proliferator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 242
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
What Michelle Obama Leaves Out About 'White Flight'
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »

Michelle Obama recently complained about "white flight" in her old Chicago neighborhood. By "white flight " she means that whites left her neighborhood as it became increasingly black. "Upstanding families like ours, who were doing everything we were supposed to do and better -- as we moved in, white folks moved out, because they were afraid of what our families represented," she said. "I always stop there when I talk about this out in the world because I want to remind white folks that y'all were running from us. This family, with all the values you read about: You ran from us. And you're still running."

What about the quality of schools? To avoid her local public school, Michelle Obama spent almost three hours a day busing to a high school that her family felt offered her a better future.

My childhood neighborhood also saw "black flight." Concerned about the declining quality of schools and neighborhood crime, some families moved out. No doubt, much of the "white flight" that Michelle spoke about and I witnessed was due to a bigoted fear of blacks. But she paints an incomplete and unfair picture by attributing the "flight" solely to racism.

Larry Elder

https://townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/2019/11/07/what-michelle-obama-leaves-out-about-white-flight-n2556051?utm_campaign=inarticle
"Mark this day on your calendar (12/18/2019). It is the day that the Democratic Party sealed its fate for a generation becoming a minority party for years to come. After dancing in the dark near a cliff, they finally took one tantrum-two-step too far. It’s going to be a hard landing."