Author Topic: A Cautionary Tale  (Read 482 times)

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 878
    • View Profile
Re: A Cautionary Tale
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 02:10:15 PM »
I'll ask my doctor next checkup, thanks Doug.    My mom keeps telling me I need to get shingles vaccination, don't want that either..

I got a complete physical this morning, and my Nurse Practitioner convinced me to get a shingles vaccination and a tetanus shot, which I'll be doing in the next day or two.  However I draw the line at a colonoscopy.  Bad enough that there was a student nurse sitting in today and I ended up getting "the finger" not once, but twice.   :o
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  - E.F. Schumacher

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1665
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
I got a complete physical this morning, and my Nurse Practitioner convinced me to get a shingles vaccination and a tetanus shot, which I'll be doing in the next day or two.  However I draw the line at a colonoscopy.  Bad enough that there was a student nurse sitting in today and I ended up getting "the finger" not once, but twice.   :o

I've got a father in law in very bad shape with colon cancer right now.. an earlier colonoscopy would have been good for him.   
absolutely nothing will be found.

there is nothing to be found.

Online Calypso Jones

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1848
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »
I'll ask my doctor next checkup, thanks Doug.    My mom keeps telling me I need to get shingles vaccination, don't want that either..

wow...look here.  I think we've found something we agree on.  What's your thinking behind your refusal to get them?

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
wow...look here.  I think we've found something we agree on.  What's your thinking behind your refusal to get them?

Its more an oversight than something I refused, my doc has not mentioned it so I didn't do it.   

Online Calypso Jones

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1848
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
Its more an oversight than something I refused, my doc has not mentioned it so I didn't do it.

LoL   okay.

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 08:08:18 PM »
...Regarding that other forum... It is interesting to see how perspectives differ. The voices that I think are the loudest there are those coming from the Left, which is 180 degrees from what you see. I think it is possible we are both sort of correct in that we pay the most attention to those who oppose us politically and don't necessarily always notice those who echo our own thoughts.

I tend to avoid altogether, let alone participate in, those threads that are obviously just red meat - "bait" threads, if you will - regardless of who posts them. Why I say that the forum has become a RW echo chamber is not because of the number of threads started by which side, or even the number of posters who identify as one thing or the other. It is the attitude of the self-identified conservative members who refuse to argue or discuss virtually any topic in good faith - choosing instead to publicly question the truthfulness, motives, general honesty and/or mental health of any member who disagrees with them or who posts something they're unable to knock down with reason or logic (most don't even try). Most threads, regardless of who started them, very quickly degenerate into one RW poster after another "piling on" - vying, it often appears, to see which one can come with the most outrageous insult for "libs" in general.

I've seen it done by the "other side", too - I was banned from a Democratic Party support site for suggesting that all gun owners were not overweight, beer-swilling White supremacists named 'Bubba' - but on the forum in question it feels like the RW members, many of them anyway, just aren't interested in hearing or honestly trying to counter any opposing views.

Anyway, here I am derailing my own thread.   ;D  Take care, Obs.  I've got a box for you that I've been meaning to put in the mail since before I was taken ill. Take care!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  - E.F. Schumacher

Offline hurricanehook

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1910
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
Shingles are definitely a bad condition. My wife contracted shingles
this year. Fortunately she had a mild case compared to many.
I have not received a vaccine for either shingles or pneumonia.
It sounds like it might be a good idea to get both.
The quality of life is more important
than life itself"......Alexis Carrel.

Offline hurricanehook

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1910
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »
Doug,
You should definitely get the colonoscopy. The hardest part
is the prep. The actual examination is a piece of cake.
It could have saved the life of a close friend of mine.
He was 65 and refused for years to get the procedure.
Unfortunately he was diagnosed with colon cancer and died 8 months later.
The quality of life is more important
than life itself"......Alexis Carrel.

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
Doug,
You should definitely get the colonoscopy. The hardest part
is the prep. The actual examination is a piece of cake.
It could have saved the life of a close friend of mine.
He was 65 and refused for years to get the procedure.
Unfortunately he was diagnosed with colon cancer and died 8 months later.

Well, I'll think about it. I know my youngest son had one when he was in his mid-twenties - he's a bit of a hypochondriac. Maybe I'll ask him what it was like.

Offline RealityHasALiberalBias

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 893
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 09:59:46 PM »
I tend to avoid altogether, let alone participate in, those threads that are obviously just red meat - "bait" threads, if you will - regardless of who posts them. Why I say that the forum has become a RW echo chamber is not because of the number of threads started by which side, or even the number of posters who identify as one thing or the other. It is the attitude of the self-identified conservative members who refuse to argue or discuss virtually any topic in good faith - choosing instead to publicly question the truthfulness, motives, general honesty and/or mental health of any member who disagrees with them or who posts something they're unable to knock down with reason or logic (most don't even try). Most threads, regardless of who started them, very quickly degenerate into one RW poster after another "piling on" - vying, it often appears, to see which one can come with the most outrageous insult for "libs" in general.

I've seen it done by the "other side", too - I was banned from a Democratic Party support site for suggesting that all gun owners were not overweight, beer-swilling White supremacists named 'Bubba' - but on the forum in question it feels like the RW members, many of them anyway, just aren't interested in hearing or honestly trying to counter any opposing views.

Anyway, here I am derailing my own thread.   ;D  Take care, Obs.  I've got a box for you that I've been meaning to put in the mail since before I was taken ill. Take care!

There are few right leaning moderates.

I didn't come up with the idea that you are thin-skinned. I got that from radical right wingers.

And a radical lefty called you a chin stroker.

See O'DougWulfAxe? I can split babies too.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:01:36 PM by RealityHasALiberalBias »

Online Mornac

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 999
  • Self-absorbed promethean neopelagian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
If you also post over at tPF, you've probably already read this story. For those who haven't, my reason for posting it here will become evident toward the end....
--Sorry to hear about all that Doug and I'm glad you made it through in mostly good shape. Your story is a ravishing tribute to free-enterprise based health care. It would undoubtedly cause severe envy in those trapped in national health care scams in countries where they've ceded control of such things to government.

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 04:37:51 PM »
--Sorry to hear about all that Doug and I'm glad you made it through in mostly good shape. Your story is a ravishing tribute to free-enterprise based health care. It would undoubtedly cause severe envy in those trapped in national health care scams in countries where they've ceded control of such things to government.

i'm sure they are quite envious of the health care bills, since we pay more than any other nation in the world for health care, and are the only country in the world where going bankrupt due to health bills is a normal situation. 

Offline Observer

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1521
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 03:42:16 AM »
i'm sure they are quite envious of the health care bills, since we pay more than any other nation in the world for health care, and are the only country in the world where going bankrupt due to health bills is a normal situation.

You do understand that much of the cost of medical treatment today is because of the ties to the insurance industry, right? Get the insurance companies out of the equation and health care costs would drop dramatically.
"If Trump wins, I will quit this forum forever on Nov. 9th." - Flyboy the liar.

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 09:35:08 AM »
You do understand that much of the cost of medical treatment today is because of the ties to the insurance industry, right? Get the insurance companies out of the equation and health care costs would drop dramatically.

Yes, and agree..

Online Hollybaere

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »

Just as an example, a medication that I have been taking for 45 years has been $10.00 for a 90 refill at Walmart for the past 19 years I have lived in Florida. Last time I refilled it, my Insurance paid out to Walmart $52.47 from my HSA. It is the same exact dosage, and it is a generic version. I called the health insurance company to find out why. He claimed it was "contracted amount" and if I had paid for it out of pocket it would have cost $10.00.

Also, when my last Doctor found out I had new insurance, all of a sudden he detected a heart murmur, that I never had before. He started wanting me to do all these tests and see a Cardiologist. When I quit him and saw a new Doctor, there has been no mention of any heart murmur in over 2 years.
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
� ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER (1788-1860)
Dagon is an idiot!!

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security, Deserve Neither- Benjamin Franklin