Author Topic: A Cautionary Tale  (Read 479 times)

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 878
    • View Profile
A Cautionary Tale
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:57:54 PM »
If you also post over at tPF, you've probably already read this story. For those who haven't, my reason for posting it here will become evident toward the end.

It was the first week in January, and after several days of bad coughing and being short of breath, I went to a hospital emergency room - my own family physician having no time to see me - where I was given some drugs and sent home. The next day, I went to an urgent care clinic, where they gave me different drugs and again sent me home. On January 7th, I went back to the emergency room, where my body shut down halfway across the lobby. I remember being put in a wheelchair and pushed rapidly down a hallway, and my next memory is of being in the hospital. At some point later on they told me that I'd been fully sedated with a tube down my throat for ten days. Bilateral pneumonia with sepsis. While I was out, the doctors were uncertain as to which way it/I would go.

After regaining consciousness, I spent a couple of weeks in the ICU, unable to eat or drink and with a "trach" or tube inserted in my throat to supply me with oxygen and another in my stomach to provide me with nutrition. I lost forty pounds in the first three weeks - a diet I most definitely do not recommend.

One phenomenon noted by many serious pneumonia victims is the bizarre dreams - many of them extended, detailed nightmares of the ugliest kind. I can still recall many of the ones I experienced. The difference between those nightmares and the ones we have when we're healthy is that your brain is so scrambled that when you wake up, what happened in the nightmares and other dreams is automatically incorporated into your memories; it is literally impossible for you to differentiate what you know as reality and what was done or said to you in the dreams. I spent about a week-and-a-half convinced that I'd been the target of an assassination plot. Other of the dreams were so bizarre and ugly that I will probably never relate them to anyone.

A couple of weeks out of the ICU, I was released to a rehab facility. My muscle strength, particularly in my legs, was negligible. I was finally allowed to eat, but my brain and throat didn't want to at that point. The whole business of eating seemed strange, and it took me some time to re-learn how to do it. With physical therapy, I was finally able to stand, then walk with a walker, and then a cane. The "trach" came out the first week of March, and the feeding tube two days later. I was finally discharged, with a bag full of pills, on March 15th. It took me another month to get fairly steady on my feet, and then to get back into driving. (My son, who'd been chauffeuring me around, was concerned about that. I told him, "James, I've been driving for half a century. I think it'll come back to me.")

Fortunately, I had (and have) a great support system - a 5'2" Scots-Irish dynamo of a wife who eats bureaucracies and red tape for breakfast, an adult son who has made himself immediately available to me for assistance 24/7, etc. The wife got me registered for Medicare while I was still pretty much out of it in the hospital.  Oh, yes, and my dog Gemma, the six-year-old brown and brindle pit-shepherd I raised from a 10-week-old puppy, went insane when she saw her Daddy after I'd been gone for 67 days. That, and the fact that I lost a shirt size and a net 35 pounds, made the whole thing almost worthwhile.

I have a new doctor now, and the first time we met and he'd looked over my record he shook his head and said, "And you're still here".

Now the point of all this is not to bore you with the story of my illness, as some are fond of doing, nor to elicit your sympathy; nor would I be fishing for your admiration for "how bravely I fought through" my medical adversity. I could go into much more gory and unpleasant detail...like how for many weeks I was unable to clean up after myself and had to be regularly cleaned up by strangers, not always in an expeditious manner, or how they almost killed me a couple of weeks before I got out of rehab with an antibiotic to which it appears I am violently allergic...but the point is simply this: if you have not gotten a pneumonia vaccination, you are gambling with your life, your health, and innumerable other valuable and beyond valuable things.

Yes, I was a few weeks short of my 65th birthday when I was struck down, but it isn't just old people and babies who get pneumonia. In fact, fully half of those who are afflicted with serious, life-threatening pneumonia attacks - not counting those with autoimmune problems - are aged 18-57. You can be a 22-year-old and run marathons and still be at risk.

Do yourself what might be the greatest favor ever, and get that pneumonia vaccine as soon as humanly possible. While you are at it, insist that those you love get one, too. This is a medical condition the effects of which will be with me for the rest of my life. Trust me - you don't want it. Don't gamble with your life, as I did. It really is beyond stupid.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  - E.F. Schumacher

Offline RealityHasALiberalBias

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 893
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
Re: A Cautionary Tale
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »
Whom, exactly,  do you feel the need to advise here?

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »
Whom, exactly,  do you feel the need to advise here?

I thought I made that pretty clear. Anybody who hasn't gotten a pneumonia vaccination. I essentially lost a couple of months out of my life and am lucky to be alive. If I can prevent someone else, even a stranger, from having to go through that, that's a good thing. Wouldn't you agree?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  - E.F. Schumacher

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »
I just visited your tPF and was treated to a thread where some lovely authoritarians were whining about people whom they referred to as Democrats allegedly fleeing Democratic states and cities, which they call "takers" and moving to red states but bringing, allegedly, their Democratic politics.

They offer no facts, of course.

Even you, oh great master of the fallacy of the golden mean, can't split that baby. I know you hate to face that fact but as Werner Twertzog said America is waking up to the fact, as Germany once did, that a third of the population would murder another third while the rest stood by and did nothing.

You sit by. Am I right?

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »
I thought I made that pretty clear. Anybody who hasn't gotten a pneumonia vaccination. I essentially lost a couple of months out of my life and am lucky to be alive. If I can prevent someone else, even a stranger, from having to go through that, that's a good thing. Wouldn't you agree?

My comment wasn't directed so much at you.

If you can reach cult followers then I applaud you. I don't think you can.

Sorry for your illness.

By the way you don't have to take my posts personally. You can. But you don't have to.

Online Calypso Jones

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1848
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »

well.  congratulations you just met Mr. Obtuse. (rhalb)     

On a more serious note @DougRich.  I'm glad you recovered.  that was an horrendous situation.   I was immediately stopped by your stating that your physician didn't have the time to see you.   THIS, doug rich is part of the rich legacy left to us by Mr. Obama.  Haven't you noticed a 'difference' in the medical profession?   and hospital protocols?   I have.   I am going through something vaguely similar to what you've just experienced, with The Captain, my husband.    I will take into consideration your serious recommendation of getting the pneumonia vaccine.     If it do, it will be a major concession because I have become very, make that VERY suspicious of the medical profession, who they report to (government) and to a lesser degree the turncoat health insurance companies.

Glad you're doing better and I applaud your wife for her activism on your behalf. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:49:58 AM by Calypso Jones »

Online Calypso Jones

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »
I just visited your tPF and was treated to a thread where some lovely authoritarians were whining about people whom they referred to as Democrats allegedly fleeing Democratic states and cities, which they call "takers" and moving to red states but bringing, allegedly, their Democratic politics.

Even you, oh great master of the fallacy of the golden mean, can't split that baby. I know you hate to face that fact but as Werner Twertzog said America is waking up to the fact, as Germany once did, that a third of the population would murder another third while the rest stood by and did nothing.

You sit by. Am I right?

Well.  if you've lived with the fact of liberal exodus TO your state you know what the deal is.     Apparently you don't.

Secondly.  If the more radical wings of the democrat party think they'll get away with murdering another third of the population as they did in Germany, they've got another think coming.  I know they consider it, plan it, with this muslim/muslima congressmuslim/muslima  allies spouting anti-Semitism and anti white remarks...  you should watch your back shouldn't you?

Online Calypso Jones

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:59 AM »
My comment wasn't directed so much at you.

If you can reach cult followers then I applaud you. I don't think you can.

Sorry for your illness.

By the way you don't have to take my posts personally. You can. But you don't have to.

good recovery.   it almost got away from you again didn't it.

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »

You sit by. Am I right?

Um...I get the feeling that one of two things is going on here. Either you popped over to that other site and assumed that I am somehow responsible for the fact that it has largely become a Right Wing echo chamber; or, you have had some run-ins with the poster who assumed my identity over on this forum - the individual now known as 'NotDougRich' - and you've gotten the two of us confused.

At that other site, I am one of those who are regularly excoriated and insulted for being too Liberal by half, even though I mostly agree (within reason) with the Conservatives on certain issues, like the Second Amendment. I actually don't read 90% of the threads over there because they mainly consist of RW reactionaries - some of them dumber than a bag of hammers - slapping one another on the back and vying to be the most conservative guy on the board.

I haven't read more than a handful of 'NotDougRich's posts, so I don't really know (or particularly care) where he stands on anything, nor what he could have possibly said to make you jump on ME.

Anyway, I am really sorry that what was intended to be a good deed - this thread - has so quickly turned into a goat f*ck. Interesting that on that other forum, the one you seem to think that I'm responsible for in its entirety, this story was greeted by thanks, kudos and well wishes by, among others, some of the most radically RW members - ones with whom I agree on practically nothing.

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
Um...I get the feeling that one of two things is going on here. Either you popped over to that other site and assumed that I am somehow responsible for the fact that it has largely become a Right Wing echo chamber; or, you have had some run-ins with the poster who assumed my identity over on this forum - the individual now known as 'NotDougRich' - and you've gotten the two of us confused.

At that other site, I am one of those who are regularly excoriated and insulted for being too Liberal by half, even though I mostly agree (within reason) with the Conservatives on certain issues, like the Second Amendment. I actually don't read 90% of the threads over there because they mainly consist of RW reactionaries - some of them dumber than a bag of hammers - slapping one another on the back and vying to be the most conservative guy on the board.

I haven't read more than a handful of 'NotDougRich's posts, so I don't really know (or particularly care) where he stands on anything, nor what he could have possibly said to make you jump on ME.

Anyway, I am really sorry that what was intended to be a good deed - this thread - has so quickly turned into a goat f*ck. Interesting that on that other forum, the one you seem to think that I'm responsible for in its entirety, this story was greeted by thanks, kudos and well wishes by, among others, some of the most radically RW members - ones with whom I agree on practically nothing.

Again you make it about you. You're the one who brought up tPF.

If I blamed you I would have said that I blame you.

My point here is that your advice is lost on people like Mornac or Holly. My secondary point is that trying to negotiate with authoritarians, or worse yet trying to compromise with.them, is a mistake.

You can agree or disagree. You can be in the third that sit by while authoritarians commit atrocities. That is up to you.

I don't talk to people like Holly or Mornac or Caroline any more but I do talk to you. I have them on ignore. You are worth talking to in my opinion. You do have something to offer.

Those are facts Doug. You are smart enough to draw from them the correct conclusions instead of what you write above. We don't have to agree in order to respect each other's reasoning.

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
FTR I never thought that was you. And I assure you, it isn't me. I don't interact with the fascists. I have enough of them on Facebook, although they are dwindling there too.

Old white guys have an expiration date.

• Hero NewsRaker
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »
Of course I can reject you too. Keep up the petty ego plays and I assure you that I will.

You aren't any good at it.

Online Calypso Jones

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »
FTR I never thought that was you. And I assure you, it isn't me. I don't interact with the fascists. I have enough of them on Facebook, although they are dwindling there too.

Old white guys have an expiration date.

doesn't that apply to you too?

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1665
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:42 PM »
I'll ask my doctor next checkup, thanks Doug.    My mom keeps telling me I need to get shingles vaccination, don't want that either..
absolutely nothing will be found.

there is nothing to be found.

Offline Observer

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1521
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 01:29:17 PM »

You know Velleity. You can't have a decent discussion going without him coming along to defecate all over it. I was actually surprised to see him show up. I kind of half expected him to hang himself after the Mueller report was released.

Your advice is good and people should take note and consult with their physician about it. Pneumonia is a major killer. It claimed my mother in 1972. If there is a simple and effective way to ward it off, people need to know about it. It is good to see you back.

Regarding that other forum... It is interesting to see how perspectives differ. The voices that I think are the loudest there are those coming from the Left, which is 180 degrees from what you see. I think it is possible we are both sort of correct in that we pay the most attention to those who oppose us politically and don't necessarily always notice those who echo our own thoughts.
"If Trump wins, I will quit this forum forever on Nov. 9th." - Flyboy the liar.