Author Topic: Hawking's brain turns into a boiling hotpot  (Read 309 times)

Online Mornac

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 771
  • Self-absorbed promethean neopelagian
    • View Profile
Hawking's brain turns into a boiling hotpot
« on: January 10, 2018, 12:32:13 AM »
Stephen Hawking: Earth will become unbearably boiling hot thanks to climate change

STEPHEN Hawking has reiterated his claim that Earth will turn into a boiling hotpot if runaway greenhouse gasses are not stopped.

SEAN MARTIN
Jan 9, 2018

Professor Hawking said US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement, has doomed Earth to one day become uninhabitable.

And repeating his warning, the physicist said climate change deniers should look to Venus which is now a boiling planet

In the second episode of his Emmy-winning web series Favourite Places, which sees the 76-year old traverse the universe in heavy CGI backdrops, Prof Hawking visits the planet Venus.

Venus, the second closest planet to the sun, was once Earth-like.

But a build-up of greenhouse gasses in its atmosphere turned the planet into a boiling celestial body with temperatures of 250 degrees celsius and wind speeds of up to 100 metres per second.

NASA says it is a classic example of how the slightest of differences in a planet’s greenhouse can massively effect its future and turn it into an uninhabitable place.

Prof Hawking says in the show anyone who does not believe in global warming should do some research on Venus.

The University of Cambridge alumni said: "Next time you meet a climate change denier, tell them to take a trip to Venus.

"I will pay the fare."

When Mr Trump pulled the US out of the Paris Climate Agreement last year, Prof Hawking said: "We are close to the tipping point where global warming becomes irreversible.

"Trump's action could push the Earth over the brink, to become like Venus, with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees, and raining sulphuric acid.

"Climate change is one of the great dangers we face and it's one we can prevent if we act now.

"By denying the evidence for climate change, and pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement, Donald Trump will cause avoidable environmental damage to our beautiful planet, endangering the natural world, for us and our children.”

Source

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1595
    • View Profile
Re: Hawking's brain turns into a boiling hotpot
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »
People, heck most life on earth, has a pretty narrow window of temperature range to operate in.      Here we have one of the most brilliant scientists raising the alarm as many other scientists have and the right wing I guess response is to mock him.    Well funny enough the same people who don't believe in science are the ones who voted for the 'stable genius'  ::)
So let's see how fucking brilliant I truly am.
Clinton will not ever be President of the United States.

Online RealityHasALiberalBias

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 878
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »
People, heck most life on earth, has a pretty narrow window of temperature range to operate in.      Here we have one of the most brilliant scientists raising the alarm as many other scientists have and the right wing I guess response is to mock him.    Well funny enough the same people who don't believe in science are the ones who voted for the 'stable genius'  ::)

Are you saying that Mornac is useless?

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1595
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
Are you saying that Mornac is useless?

I don't know, he's probably useful for many things.   Anything related to science, no.
So let's see how fucking brilliant I truly am.
Clinton will not ever be President of the United States.

Online RealityHasALiberalBias

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 878
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »
I don't know, he's probably useful for many things.   Anything related to science, no.

Fertilizer?

Not wishing it but that's all I can come up with.

Online Mornac

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 771
  • Self-absorbed promethean neopelagian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
People, heck most life on earth, has a pretty narrow window of temperature range to operate in.
--Relatively narrow.

Here we have one of the most brilliant scientists raising the alarm as many other scientists have
--And we have other brilliant scientists who say the opposite.

and the right wing I guess response is to mock him.
--Just as the left wing mocks those other scientists.

Well funny enough the same people who don't believe in science are the ones who voted for the 'stable genius'  ::)
--I haven't seen any reference to "people who don't believe in science" here, have you? (Other than the one you just made, offreing no particulars)

Offline hurricanehook

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1486
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
just because Stephen Hawking is an expert in physics, doesn't mean he's an expert on
everthing he speaks about. 

Sometimes I think it's a shame,
When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

Offline SpaceCadet

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 265
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
I talked with actual climate scientists at the National Center for Atmospheric Research about this topic 6 or 7 years ago.  At that time their opinion was that it probably couldn't happen, because of Earth's greater distance from the Sun and the existence of enough negative feedback mechanisms.

I expect that opinion hasn't changed since I haven't seen them flying around demanding that we start digging underground cities or building space arks, but the uncertainty expressed is a little troubling.

They did caution that even if Earth doesn't turn into Venus, that doesn't mean it can't get really bad here.  There's a wide range of really bad conditions between Earth's current condition and that of Venus.  Already, animals and plant life have begun migration, and the military is planning for upcoming changes.  The most ideal grape growing region has been shifting to the North.