Author Topic: If stock market rises, government debt goes down, did you know?  (Read 56 times)

Offline Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1422
    • View Profile
If stock market rises, government debt goes down, did you know?
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
Trump Makes Puzzling Claim That Stock Market Gains Have Reduced The Debt

“The country — we took it over and owed over $20 trillion,” Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “As you know, the last eight years, they borrowed more than it did in the whole history of our country. So they borrowed more than $10 trillion, right? And yet, we picked up $5.2 trillion just in the stock market. Possibly picked up the whole thing in terms of the first nine months, in terms of value.”

“So you could say, in one sense, we’re really increasing values,” he continued. “And maybe in a sense we’re reducing debt. But we’re very honored by it. And we’re very, very happy.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-bizarrely-claims-stock-market-gain-reduces-debt
So let's see how fucking brilliant I truly am.
Clinton will not ever be President of the United States.

Offline TheFederalist

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 349
  • Federalist
    • View Profile
Re: If stock market rises, government debt goes down, did you know?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
Trump Makes Puzzling Claim That Stock Market Gains Have Reduced The Debt

“The country — we took it over and owed over $20 trillion,” Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “As you know, the last eight years, they borrowed more than it did in the whole history of our country. So they borrowed more than $10 trillion, right? And yet, we picked up $5.2 trillion just in the stock market. Possibly picked up the whole thing in terms of the first nine months, in terms of value.”

“So you could say, in one sense, we’re really increasing values,” he continued. “And maybe in a sense we’re reducing debt. But we’re very honored by it. And we’re very, very happy.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-bizarrely-claims-stock-market-gain-reduces-debt

I suppose you're unaware that taxes will have to be paid on those gains? How much of the debt did he claim it would reduce?

Quote from: dagon
sure,  they were happy for me but being a star athlete wasn't a "get free pussy card".

college on the other hand was an entirely different story

Offline Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1422
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
I suppose you're unaware that taxes will have to be paid on those gains?

Taxes are paid for gains if they are sold, yes.   

How much of the debt did he claim it would reduce?

He didn't, he said "maybe in a sense we're reducing the debt."   Probably because the correlation is not direct, if at all.   That's an argument I hadn't heard when the stock market was rising under Obama.
So let's see how fucking brilliant I truly am.
Clinton will not ever be President of the United States.

Offline TheFederalist

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 349
  • Federalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
Taxes are paid for gains if they are sold, yes.   

He didn't, he said "maybe in a sense we're reducing the debt."   Probably because the correlation is not direct, if at all.   That's an argument I hadn't heard when the stock market was rising under Obama.

On gains made this year, What would the tax rate be on 5.2 trillion dollars? Wouldn't it be roughly 2 trillion in tax revenue at the 39.6 tax rate?
Quote from: dagon
sure,  they were happy for me but being a star athlete wasn't a "get free pussy card".

college on the other hand was an entirely different story