Let the Colts take their place at the Superbowl
0 (0%)
Play the game between the Patriots and Colts over
2 (33.3%)
Nothing
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 28, 2015, 03:18:15 PM

Author Topic: NFL says New England used underinflated footballs in the Colts playoff game  (Read 1237 times)

Online Hollybaere

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1059
    • View Profile
11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated
Updated: January 21, 2015, 2:28 PM ET
By Chris Mortensen

The NFL has found that 11 of the New England Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated significantly below the NFL's requirements, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC Championship Game told ESPN.

The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources.

More at:  http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/12202450/nfl-says-new-england-patriots-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
� ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER (1788-1860)
Dagon is an idiot!!

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security, Deserve Neither- Benjamin Franklin

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1684
    • View Profile
This is unprecidented isn't it?   I vote re-play

Bookmark it: Trump will be impeached

Offline Pardon_My_French

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 840
    • View Profile
This is unprecidented isn't it?   I vote re-play

I vote to ban pro sports - and collegiate sports - and high school sports.

"Let's be perfectly clear, Doug.  I am the smartest person in the room." ~ SchroedingersCat -- Newsrake's most pretentious, pompous and paranoid poster.

Online Hollybaere

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
I vote to ban pro sports - and collegiate sports - and high school sports.

Why??
First, it is ridiculed.
Dagon is an idiot!!

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 878
    • View Profile
I would have to cite as precedent the ruling of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball in the George Brett "pine tar" incident. 

If a review of the game indicates that the Patriots would have won the game regardless of any non-regulation aspect of the equipment being used - no penalty, no foul, no replay.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  - E.F. Schumacher

Offline Pardon_My_French

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 840
    • View Profile
Why??

I don't like organized sports. It always reminds me of a throwback to our forebears' gladiator days, whereby men would compete, sometimes to the death, all for the entertainment of a select class.  Makes me think we really haven't progressed as much as we like to think we have. We might not drag them into the arena in chains anymore, demanding that they kill or be killed, but we still want our pint of blood.

Makes me ashamed of us.
"Let's be perfectly clear, Doug.  I am the smartest person in the room." ~ SchroedingersCat -- Newsrake's most pretentious, pompous and paranoid poster.

Offline Katsrdelicious

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 193
  • NewsRaker
    • View Profile
I would have to cite as precedent the ruling of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball in the George Brett "pine tar" incident. 

If a review of the game indicates that the Patriots would have won the game regardless of any non-regulation aspect of the equipment being used - no penalty, no foul, no replay.
How is that possible?

Momentum has a large impact on the game. In football, putting together a couple of first downs increases the likelihood of maintaining a drive.

Brady completed 65% of his passes. Luck was somewhere around 36%. That's significant in the flow and outcome of a game. How much of this is the result of the issue?

I have no answer. Just thinking out loud.

My biggest question is how did the refs not pick up on it? Outside of the interception that we are told led to this they are the only ones on the field that handle both teams footballs.

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
Sports have no business taking up the time and budget of universities the way they do, but if people want to organize, play and watch them on a professional level, I don't really care.  Baseball is the only sport I've ever given a damn about, and there exist plenty of non-school teams, leagues and organizations involved in youth baseball to nurture young talent for the Majors.  With what is now being learned about football-related brain injuries, I suspect that the glory days of that sport will begin to decline very soon, anyway.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."  - E.F. Schumacher

Online Pepsi

• Administrator
  • Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1684
    • View Profile
I don't like organized sports. It always reminds me of a throwback to our forebears' gladiator days, whereby men would compete, sometimes to the death, all for the entertainment of a select class.  Makes me think we really haven't progressed as much as we like to think we have. We might not drag them into the arena in chains anymore, demanding that they kill or be killed, but we still want our pint of blood.

Makes me ashamed of us.

You dont like it so you want it banned?   I thought you were kidding..  Interesting perspective though.   I never cared much for competitive sports.  Was never a good sports guy,  hardly ever watch any games.. could give a shit really.   But, there is something to be said for finding the best athletes and good sportsmanship is a good value to have. 

Bookmark it: Trump will be impeached

Online Nicole

• Jr. NewsRaker
  • Liked: 10
    • View Profile
If it is found that the Pats were cheating, a hefty punishment should be imposed to send a message to all teams.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:55:00 PM by Nicole »

Online Hollybaere

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile

Cheating should be treated for what it is. This isn't just a regular season game, it's the chance to be in the Super Bowl. Cheating in any other instance would be met with severe consequences. If this is ignored, it will send  a totally wrong message.
First, it is ridiculed.
Dagon is an idiot!!

Online Makesenseplease

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 104
  • Rip....Buckwheat
    • View Profile
Cheating should be treated for what it is. This isn't just a regular season game, it's the chance to be in the Super Bowl. Cheating in any other instance would be met with severe consequences. If this is ignored, it will send  a totally wrong message.

This is one instance when I would have to blame the victims for not paying attention.

The Patriots kept spiking the balls after scoring.........the balls. Kept going "splat" instead of bouncing in the end zone.
"DO NOT GO TO WAR WITH AFGHANISTAN FOR ANY REASON"-Anonymous

"We die, but will never be defeated."--Uncle Joe

Online Hollybaere

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile

This is one instance when I would have to blame the victims for not paying attention.

The Patriots kept spiking the balls after scoring.........the balls. Kept going "splat" instead of bouncing in the end zone.

So you are wanting to blame the Colts for not noticing that the Patriots were cheating?? Really??  ::)

Apparently, someone noticed because there would not have been any investigation if no one noticed or complained.

Don't tell me, you're a Patriots fan, right?
First, it is ridiculed.
Dagon is an idiot!!

Online Observer

• Hero NewsRaker
  • Liked: 1547
    • View Profile
If you ever actually stop and think about it, Football is a stupid game.

Bread and circuses.
"If Trump wins, I will quit this forum forever on Nov. 9th." - Flyboy the liar.

Offline DougRich

• Hero NewsRaker
    • View Profile
A lot of people really seem to get something out of it.  Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to watch the greatest football game ever played.